CDO at a Glance
At A Glance
In 2003 the APWU Health Plan was the first FEHB Program to offer a Consumer Driven Option. It has been 7 years and while often imitated our Consumer Driven Option has never been replicated. The Consumer Driven Option is a different approach to health care.
APWU Health Plan’s Consumer Driven Option, is a versatile, comprehensive health plan which gives you, the member options. With a personal care account (PCA) and free preventive care such as routine screenings and annual checkups, the Consumer Driven Option is ideal for any lifestyle. The chart below is a brief description of how the CDO works.
- Lower premiums with total control over how first healthcare dollars are spent
- No upfront deductible or copays
- An APWU Health Plan-funded Personal Care Account (PCA) provides 100 percent coverage of medical and pharmacy expenses while PCA dollars are available
- Diabetes Management Program - primary members who participate as required may be eligible for 100% coverage for diabetes in-network visits, lab tests and mail order generic drugs
- 100 percent preventive coverage with in-network doctors. You do not need to use your PCA dollars!
- Ability to use PCA dollars for most vision and dental services
- Rollover unused PCA benefit dollars for the following year
- Enjoy the freedom to choose a doctor from a network of 715,000 outpatient providers, or select a doctor outside of the network
The Consumer Driven Option is administered for APWU Health Plan by United Healthcare. We’ve provided a link to United Healthcare’s website, where you can take a tour and see the benefits of the Consumer Driven Option.
* Click here to view the 2013 APWU Health Plan Federal Brochure
* Click here to explore the Consumer Driven Option website
How the Consumer Driven Option Works