Continuation of coverage for postal and federal employees

If you leave federal service or Tribal employment—or if you lose coverage because you no longer qualify as a family member—you may be eligible for Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC).

For example, you can receive TCC if you are not able to continue your FEHB enrollment after you retire, if you lose your federal job, or if you are a covered child and you turn age 26, regardless of marital status.

How to enroll in TCC

Get the RI 79-27, which describes TCC, from your employing or retirement office or from OPM. It explains what you have to do to enroll.

OPM Temporary Continuation of Coverage(external link)

Buy coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace

Depending on your income, you could be eligible for a tax credit that lowers your monthly premiums. Visit the Health Insurance Marketplace to compare plans and see what your premium, deductible, and out-of-pocket costs would be before you decide to enroll.

Health Insurance Marketplace(external link)

Finally, if you qualify for coverage under another group health plan (such as your spouse's plan), you may be able to enroll in that plan, as long as you apply within 30 days of losing FEHB Program coverage.