The Consumer Driven Option is the APWU Health Plan solution for affordable yet comprehensive care. Our members are the primary decision-makers in the healthcare they receive and pay for. You have greater control in how you use your healthcare benefits.
When used properly, this different model of healthcare can save money. With UnitedHealthcare’s expansive national network, this option provides low premiums and a proactive alternative to traditional health plans.
What's new for 2024
- Coverage now includes artificial insemination, infertility medications and IVF-related drugs
- Skilled nursing care has increased from 25 visits to 50 visits per calendar year
- Access 16,000+ gyms and studios through One Pass Select
- Save on hearing aids through UnitedHealthcare Hearing
Expanded network includes 6 new facilities in Buffalo, NY
New facilities in the Buffalo, NY, area will be in-network for Consumer Driven Option members starting 1/1/2024:
- Buffalo General Hospital
- Oishei Children’s Hospital
- HighPointe on Michigan
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital
- DeGraff Memorial Hospital
- DeGraff Memorial Hospital SNF
- In January, the Health Plan funds a Personal Care Account (PCA) members can use for covered medical services. Members are covered at 100% until the PCA is exhausted. The Plan funds the PCA at $1,200 for Self Only and $2,400 for Self Plus One and Self and Family.
- Automatically receive a $25 wellness incentive—added to your PCA—when you or a covered family member completes an annual physical exam.
- No upfront deductible, coinsurance or copay until your PCA is exhausted.
- Cancer Centers of Excellence paid at 90%.
- Dental and vision coverage is available under your Personal Care Account.
When you choose network doctors.
- Preventive care and screenings
- Maternity care
- Programs to help you manage back pain and tobacco cessation